Termite/White Ant Barrier Treatment
There is good reason to invest in a termite barrier for you home, even if your home is not currently playing host to these highly destructive pests.
Based upon industry and CSIRO studies, one in three homes will be attacked and/or damaged by termites during the economic life of the home. The damage can be severe as termites are capable of destroying wall, floor and roof timbers within a few months. The risk usually increases with the age and location of the property. However, there have been cases of new homes being severely damaged shortly after construction. Furthermore, as the bill from termite damage runs into the hundreds of millions of dollars each year insurance companies will not insure against termite damage. This makes it vitally important that you protect what in most cases is your most valuable asset against termite attack.
Why a Termite Inspection is Crucial
An attack on the home is usually initiated from a nest in the ground, the nest can be up to 100 meters from the home. The termites build galleries over piers or walls to attack the structure from below. Usually the nest is outside the building perimeter but occasionally a nest may be buried beneath the building. Brick and concrete construction is of itself no protection against termites which may exploit fine cracks in mortar or slabs to gain access to timber within the building. Termites inside the building must maintain contact with the soil and with the nest.
The reason so much damage is caused by termites is that they usually gain entry to the timber without being seen and eat the timber from the inside out. By the time obvious signs appear of termite infestation considerable damage may have occurred as the termites have probably been present for some time. It is therefore important to be aware of the termite hazard and potential damage they can cause by investing in a thorough termite inspection, especially in Perth where there is a real risk of termite activity.
The Chemical Termite Barrier
One of the most effective and commonly used weapons against termite attack is the chemical termite barrier. The benefits of a chemical barrier, unlike non-chemical treatments, is that they can provider a fully joined and complete barricade around your home.
Whilst repellents are available, All U Need Pest Control Perth will always recommend termite treatments that employ the transfer effect. This is where termites (often referred to as white ants) are able to pass through the barrier, infecting them with the chemical which eats away at their exoskeleton. The treatment isn’t an instant kill, it takes time, allowing termites to pass the chemical onto one another on contact, allowing this treatment to spread throughout the colony eventually reaching the Queen and causing the whole colony to collapse.
A chemical termite barrier is applied as follows:
- The barrier is created by injecting a termiticide around the perimeter of the home or building at approximately 30cm intervals.
- Concrete areas are drilled about 10cm from the cavity wall.
- Brick and paved areas are also drilled but mainly through the joins.
- The holes are then injected with termiticide and plugged.
- Garden beds and sandy areas against cavity walls are trenched and treated with termiticide.
- Fences, garden sheds, pergolas, patios, window frames, door frames, down pipes, under eaves, letter boxes, rubbish bins, barbecue areas etc are all thoroughly treated.
- Wooden sub floor areas are treated if accessible.
- The inside of the home ie skirting boards, kitchen and bathroom cupboards, vanity areas, linen and built in cupboards. Will be inspected and treated.
- Carpeted areas in the home will be treated for general pests.
- Roof voids where accessible will be inspected for termites and treated for general pests upon request.
- A termite report is issued on request upon completion of the treatment.
- All chemical termite barrier treatments include a free full general pest treatment.
- The chemical termite barrier treatment is guaranteed for 5 years provided the yearly maintenance program is followed.
The Yearly Pest Maintenance Program
Prevention is always a better option than finding a cure and pest control is no different. To ensure you have a clean and pest free home, we recommend a yearly pest maintenance program covers you for all of the general pests such as ants, rodents, spiders and cockroaches.
Given the destructive nature of termites and the speed and severity in which they can infest and damage a home or property it is very important that regular inspections and where required booster treatments be maintained. This is why we have introduced a yearly maintenance program linked to the full termite barrier treatment.
Perform a professional interior termite inspection to all accessible areas including:
- Sub floor and foundation areas.
- Internal living areas and fittings.
- Internal timbers abutting concrete areas.
- Ceiling and roof void.
Perform a professional exterior inspection including:
- All structures within the immediate residential area, e.g. shed, garage.
- Fences and other timber structures, e.g. pergolas, shade houses, etc.
- Trees, shrubs etc for termite activity or nests.
If any termite activity is found it will be thoroughly treated.
You will also receive a general pest treatment free of charge.